Sunday, January 22, 2017

My first Boxycharm! January 2017 First impressions.


I've enjoyed Ipsy for a while, but I had become somewhat unexcited about the products I was getting so I decided to cancel Ipsy and try out Boxycharm.  Boxycharm** is a subscription beauty box that provides 5 full-size beauty products each month for $21.  I had looked at many reviews on My Subscription Addiction and I felt that the value for the price was there and they seemed to include some great products.   
Boxycharm's boxes have some variation, as far as I can tell there are generally 1-3 products that are in every box, and then a few products that are variables.  In my box, I received (all full size):
I was pleased because there were a few variation items that I really didn't want, and I really wanted the cheek stain.  I am listing these retail values as stated on Boxycharm's website and from retailers if possible--Pur Cosmetics are sold at Ulta but they do not carry this particular item.  Oscar Blandi seems to have disappeared from both Ulta and Sephora.  

My favorite item in the box was the Vintage by Jessica Liebeskind highlighter duo.  The two shades are "rose quartz" and "chocolate diamond".  First of all, the packaging is beautiful--sturdy matte plastic with a vintage aesthetic and a mirror in the compact.   Both highlighters are so silky soft (almost creamy)  when swatched with a finger and did not have any visible particles of glitter--just a shimmer glow.  In this lighting I did not see a big difference in the two shades when swatched but I am sure in natural light there will be a difference--however, both shades worked well on my fair skin and I think that they would be lovely on a wide range of skin tones.  

As far as the rest of the products, I liked the cheek stain but it has somewhat limited use in my arsenal; I usually wear matte liquid or powder foundation, and this type of product is much better suited to sheer, dewy base makeup. However, the shade is quite nice, it blends well and I like the feature of the brush on the opposite end of the package.  

The fan brush is fine--it's not luxe, but it's not garbage either.  I'm glad to have another because I've been wanting to dedicate one fan brush to sweeping away eyeshadow fallout and this will work well. 

I haven't yet tried the dry shampoo or the nail product but they will both get use so I'd call this box a win.  

To take advantage of my new products, I did a minimal/dewy look using the cheek stain and the highlighter.  As you can see, they both blend well and the highlighter really is just stunning.  

Other products used:
Clio Gelpresso eyeshadow stick in Hold Me Tight (glitter peach) 
Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Demolition (matte brown)
Tarte Lipsurgence Lipgloss in Fearless (shimmering coral) 

All in all, I am happy with my first month of Boxycharm, and after seeing some spoilers for the February box, I'm pretty excited for that too.  I'll have to have a few more months under my belt before I give it a seal of approval, though!

**I purchased my Boxycharm subscription with my own money and did not receive any product or promotional consideration for this review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment